As developers for tablets and smartphones we like to keep abreast of the latest mobile technology developments . This is a daily digest of mobile development and related technology news gathered from the BBC, the New York Times, New Scientist and the Globe and Mail to name a few. We scour the web for articles concerning, iPhone, iPad and android development, iOS and android operating systems as well as general articles on advances in mobile technology. We hope you find this useful and that it helps to keep you up to date with the latest technology developments.
- Will a rear Touch ID sensor stop you from upgrading to the iPhone 8? (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 81) – CNET
Apple hires Google Satellite execs to work on new hardware, pointing to satellite internet, and more leaked schematics point to a rear Touch iD iPhone.
- Feds question their effort to unmask anti-Trump Twitter account – CNET
At Sen. Ron Wyden’s request, Homeland Security launches an internal inquiry into whether its effort to reveal a Twitter user’s identity was improper.
- Bill Nye wants to save the world from science deniers – CNET
The Science Guy stops by CNET to talk about his new Netflix show…and we roast marshmallows (for science!).
- April the giraffe cam gallops offline, but 'this isn't the end' – CNET
You’ll have to get your animal fix elsewhere for a few days — but April’s keepers plan an announcement next week.
- Which Galaxy S8 unlock option is the most secure? – CNET
Samsung is going all-in on biometric authentication with the Galaxy S8. But which one should you use?
- Trump's cybersecurity plan is officially late – CNET
President Donald Trump promised that a plan to improve cybersecurity in the US would be in place by his 90th day in office. It’s now day 91.
- Target swaps its shopping carts for Mario Karts – Roadshow
The stores already feel like a demolition derby on the weekend, so why not?
- Spoiler! Major cameos for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' revealed – CNET
Director James Gunn and Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige confirm to CNET which Guardians of the Galaxy members from the original comic books are in the movie sequel.
- Apple's AR smart glasses could be in the works – CNET
A leaked incident report suggests that Apple could be working on some interesting new eyewear, and that accidents happen.
- Apple's self-driving car program detailed in DMV training doc – CNET
More specifics on Cupertino’s autonomous driving technology come to light by way of a reported document for training the human drivers who will staff the vehicles.
- Dentist accused of extracting teeth while riding hoverboard – CNET
Commentary: Prosecutors say an Alaska dentist sedated a patient and then filmed his unusual procedure.
- Volkswagen gets sentenced… to probation – Roadshow
It must also pay a $2.8 billion fine and agree to independent oversight.
- Apple nabs two of Google's top satellite executives – CNET
The iPhone maker reportedly recruited them for a new hardware team.
- KFC launches sandwich into space – CNET
Commentary: Rob Lowe is KFC’s new colonel and, well, things take a strange turn in the company’s new ad.
- Elon Musk is working on 'consensual telepathy' – CNET
The billionaire tesla CEO’s new startup, Neuralink Corp, wants to merge our brains with machines.
- Starbucks Unicorn frappuccino jokes pour out on Twitter – CNET
Never mind the taste of the limited-edition drink, but does it put you in the mood for some Trent Reznor tunes?
- Galaxy S8 is expensive…to build – CNET
Samsung’s new flagship phone — on sale today — costs more to build than top phones from Apple and Google, according to an IHS Markit estimate.
- The 3:59 extended edition: Galaxy S8 review and iPhone 8 rumors – CNET
We magically turned one of our favorite extended YouTube shows from the week into podcast form for your weekend listening.
- Bill Gates: My kids didn't have cell phones till they were 14 – CNET
Commentary: In an interview, the Microsoft co-founder says phones still aren’t allowed at the dinner table.