As developers for tablets and smartphones we like to keep abreast of the latest mobile technology developments . This is a daily digest of mobile development and related technology news gathered from the BBC, the New York Times, New Scientist and the Globe and Mail to name a few. We scour the web for articles concerning, iPhone, iPad and android development, iOS and android operating systems as well as general articles on advances in mobile technology. We hope you find this useful and that it helps to keep you up to date with the latest technology developments.
- NXP's NFC tech lets you unlock cars with a phone – Roadshow
Chipmaker NXP announced that five automakers will implement its Near Field Communication technology into door handles, letting drivers use phones and other devices to access their cars.
- Oscars flub: Best picture goes to… wait, what? NOT 'La La Land' – CNET
The 89th annual Academy Awards ended with a shocking turn: “Moonlight” turned out to be the real best picture winner after “La La Land” was announced as the victor.
- Surprise, you're at the Oscars! Tour bus stunt divides Twitter – CNET
Some on social media found the Jimmy Kimmel prank charming, but others thought it was cringeworthy.
- Storm spotters honor Bill Paxton by spelling his initials on map – CNET
Actor remembered for his role in 1996 “Twister,” which inspired a generation of storm chasers.
- Effects of 'The Jungle Book' are bear necessities for an Oscar – CNET
FX expert Adam Valdez reveals how the film’s digital jungle and computer-generated creatures earned an Academy Award.
- Jimmy Kimmel tweets at Trump while presenting Oscars – CNET
Commentary: If you’re presenting the Academy Awards, wouldn’t you tweet at the world’s most famous Twitterer?
- Zachary Quinto confronts fears about Trump at the Oscars – CNET
Commentary: Using a “Star Trek” actor and a very poignant snippet from George Orwell’s “1984,” audiobook company Audible expresses itself clearly.
- Samsung tries to out-cool Apple at Oscars – CNET
Commentary: During the Oscars, Samsung debuts an ad featuring vlogger Casey Neistat — a man who once embarrassed Apple — and the theme “do what you can’t.”
- Words you never expect to hear: 'Suicide Squad' wins an Oscar – CNET
The Joker has an even bigger reason to smile after the action film takes home the award for best makeup and hairstyling.
- Holy embarrassment! 'Batman v Superman' loads up on Razzies – CNET
The superhero slugfest ties with ‘Hillary’s America’ for most bad-movie awards this year, with four.
- Kingston Data Traveler GT 2TB gets its price, and it's steep – CNET
You can buy the tiny portable drive now for 28 percent off, though.
- 'Hidden Fences' goof reappears at Oscars, Twitter takes off – CNET
While the red-carpet mistake was immediately corrected, social media didn’t hide its fascination with the error.
- Jackie Chan causes early panda-monium on Oscar red carpet – CNET
Twitter users could bear-ly stand the cuteness. The martial-arts actor explains he is a panda ambassador — no, really.
- G6, G5 and 5G: Everything from Mobile World Congress press day – CNET
A host of new phones from LG, Huawei and Lenovo, plus two new Samsung tablets were just some of the new gear on display.
- CEO Secrets: 'Why I employ autistic people'
Kurt Schoeffer, head of IT company Auticon, explains why he headhunts autistic people.
- Actor Bill Paxton dies at 61 after surgery – CNET
Paxton was perhaps best known for his roles in “Aliens” and “Twister.”
- Where's the Nokia phone we're craving? – CNET
Nokia swan dives back into the phone market through startup HMD, but it steers clear of the premium category dominated by Apple and Samsung.
- Samsung's new Gear VR headset adds a controller to the mix – CNET
The new controller improves interaction, letting you point, drag and drop, and shoot at virtual objects.
- A cheeky rebadging means you can soon buy a Nokia smartwatch – CNET
Everything that was once Withings will soon be Nokia through and through.